Non – Immigrant Visa (O – A) Long Stay retirement (up to 1 year)
Purpose of visit : This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years or over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period NOT exceeding 1 year without the intention of working. Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.
1. must be at least 50 years of age (on the day of submitting application);
2. not prohibited from entering the Kingdom as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979);
3. must have no criminal record in Thailand and the country of the applicant’s nationality or residence;
4. must have the nationality of or permanent residence in the country where application is submitted;
5. must NOT have prohibitive diseases (Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis,
third phase of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 B.E. 2535;
6. must have a health insurance covering the length of stay in Thailand with
– no less than 40,000 THB coverage for outpatient treatment; and
– no less than 400,000 THB for inpatient treatment.
(must be specifically mentioned)
– Applicant may consider buying a Thai health insurance online at www.longstay.tgia.org
7. prohibited from engaging in any gainful employment in Thailand.
Required documents :
1. Actual Passport or Travel Document.
(must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page).
2. Passport-size photographs (2″x2″)
– Photographs must have a light color background.
– Full-face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses and covering up shoulders.
– Photos must be taken within 6 months.
3. Flight confirmation / reservation, showing going from US to Thailand.
(The name of the applicant must indicated clearly.)
4. Bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing
– a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht; or
– an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht; or
– a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht.
– In the case of submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank
(an original copy) is required.
5. Additional application form (Download)
6. Medical certificate (must be notarized) showing no prohibitive diseases
as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535)
certificate shall be valid for not more than three months.
— > Medical form – click here
7. Criminal record
– Letter of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record
– verification have to valid for not more than three months and
– must be issued from a state or Federal Bureau of Investigation only.
8. Insurance – Applicant must have a health insurance for the duration of stay, with coverage for
7.1 outpatient treatment of no less than 40,000 baht and
7.2 inpatient treatment of no less than 400,000 baht
- Health insurance policy document issued by a Thai or foreign insurance company, stating that the applicant is
medically insured for the period and with coverage as mentioned above:
(a) Foreign insurance company, the applicant must submit the original insurance policy document with 2 copies;
(b) Thai insurance company, the applicant must submit 2 copies of the insurance policy document or, if available,
the original insurance policy document with 2 copies.
- A list of Thai insurance companies participating in the scheme can be found here: http://longstay.tgia.org
- Foreign Insurance Certificate as stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and Health Insurance of Thailand,
which must be completed, signed and stamped by the insurance company.
The form can be downloaded here: Foreign Insurance Certificate Form
9. Non-US citizen
– a copy of permanent resident card (green card);
10. For Nigerian nationalities and passport holders:
– Certificate of Clearance from NDLEA; and
– authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affair of Nigeria; and
– authenticated by the Royal Thai Consulate in Abuja, Nigeria.
11. Application using passports from Afghanistan and Iraq:
– Visa application and supporting documentation must be forwarded to
Thailand for visa approval.
– Processing time is a minimum of three weeks.
12. All supporting materials that are not in English must be accompanied by
certified English translations and certified by an embassy only.
Step 1 – Apply e-Visa application online
Please registered at https://thaievisa.go.th – click here.
Upon completion of an online visa application from the applicant,
the Royal Thai Consulate-General, Los Angeles will review the application.
Step 2 – Submit documents
Once complete e-Visa application, the application must submit :
1. e-appointment slip with barcode reference no.
3. Self-addressed return envelope
– by these following mail service USPS (US Postal Service) or Express Mail Service
– use only flat rate mailing envelope with postage stamp. (Metered stamps is not accepted)
– Please write your name clearly and record your tracking number of return mail for future reference.
– We will not provide tracking number information.
Mailing address :
No walk-ins allowed.
The Royal Thai Consulate do not accept any responsibility for any damage or loss.
Processing time : minimum 15 business days / expedited service is not available.
Fee – $200 for multiple entry
– the fee is not refundable in any cases.
Validity of a visa :
– Multiple entry = 1 year
– A visa becomes effective from the date of issuance.
– Do not apply for the visa too early.
– If you apply too early the visa may expire before your trip and you will have to re-apply.
Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) while staying in Thailand
1. Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry.
2. At the end of the 90-day stay, the foreigner must report to the immigration officer in his
or her residence area and report again every 90 days during his or her stay in Thailand.
The foreigner may report to the police station if there is no immigration office in his or her residence area.
3. Foreigner may report to the competent authority by post and should provide the following :
– A report form (Tor Mor 47)
– A copy of passport pages showing the foreigner’s photo, personal details, and the latest arrival visa stamp
– A copy of the previous receipt of acknowledgement.
– A self-addressed envelope with postage affixed.
– Such documents must be sent to
Immigration Division 1
120 Moo 3, Government Center B,
Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi,
– and must be submitted 7 days before the end of every 90-day period.
– A receipt of acknowledgement will be given and should be used for future correspondence.
4. Foreigner who wishes to extend his or her stay shall submit a request for extension of stay at
the Office of the Immigration Bureau with documented evidence of money transfer or a deposit account
in Thailand or an income certificate showing an amount of not less than 800,000 THB OR an income
certificate plus a deposit account showing a total amount of not less than 800,000 THB.
A one-year extension of stay shall be granted at the discretion of the immigration officer to the
foreigner as long as he or she meets the above requirements.
Please note :
Consular officers reserve the right to request additional documents
as deemed necessary and also reserve the right to reject any application
without having to provide reason.
12 Mar 2021 / KS.