Non – Immigrant Visa (O – X) Long Stay retirement (up to 10 year)
Purpose of visit : This type of visa may be issued to nationals and passport holders of
Australia, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, the United States of America
with the age of 50 years old and over who wish to stay in Thailand for the maximum period of 10 years
(5 years according to visa validity plus an extension for another 5 years).
Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.
1. must be at least 50 years of age (on the day of submitting application);
2. not prohibited from entering the Kingdom as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979);
3. must have no criminal record in Thailand and the country of the applicant’s nationality or residence;
4. must have the nationality of or permanent residence in the country where application is submitted;
5. must NOT have prohibitive diseases (Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis,
third phase of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 B.E. 2535;
6. must have a health insurance covering the length of stay in Thailand with
– no less than 40,000 THB coverage for outpatient treatment; and
– no less than 400,000 THB for inpatient treatment.
(must be specifically mentioned)
– Applicant may consider buying a Thai health insurance online at www.longstay.tgia.org
7. prohibited from engaging in any gainful employment in Thailand.
Required documents :
1. Actual Passport or Travel Document.
(must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page).
2. Passport-size photographs (2″x2″)
– Photographs must have a light color background.
– Full-face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses and covering up shoulders.
– Photos must be taken within 6 months.
3. Flight confirmation / reservation, showing going from US to Thailand.
(The name of the applicant must indicated clearly.)
4. Financial qualification :
(a) Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand
– with the amount of not less than 3 million Baht; or
(b) Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand
– with the amount of not less than 1.8 million Baht and
– have income with the amount of not less than 1.2 million Baht per year.
(c) Once the applicants enter Thailand, they must have accumulated
money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand not less than
3 million Baht within 1 year.
The money in (a) and (b) must be kept in bank account at least 1 year
before withdrawing and, within another next year, the money must be left
in the account with the amount of not less than 1.5 million Baht
and can only be spent in Thailand.
5. Additional Application Form (personal data form) (Download)
6. Medical certificate (must be notarized) showing no prohibitive diseases
as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535)
certificate shall be valid for not more than three months.
— > Medical form – click here
7. Criminal record
– Letter of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record
– verification have to valid for not more than three months and
– must be issued from a state or Federal Bureau of Investigation only.
8. Insurance – Applicant must have a health insurance for the duration of stay, with coverage for
7.1 outpatient treatment of no less than 40,000 baht and
7.2 inpatient treatment of no less than 400,000 baht
- Health insurance policy document issued by a Thai or foreign insurance company, stating that the applicant is
medically insured for the period and with coverage as mentioned above:
(a) Foreign insurance company, the applicant must submit the original insurance policy document with 2 copies;
(b) Thai insurance company, the applicant must submit 2 copies of the insurance policy document or, if available,
the original insurance policy document with 2 copies.
- A list of Thai insurance companies participating in the scheme can be found here: http://longstay.tgia.org
- Foreign Insurance Certificate as stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and Health Insurance of Thailand,
which must be completed, signed and stamped by the insurance company.
The form can be downloaded here: Foreign Insurance Certificate Form
9. Spouse (no age restriction) and child, age under 20 years old
– can apply for Non-Immigrant O-X visa and must have the following required documents :
– Spouse (in accordance with the definition stipulated in the Thai Laws)
–> must show a copy of marriage certificate.
–> documents stated in number 1-8.
– Child age under 20 years old
–> must show a copy of birth certificate; or
–> proof of legitimate child; and
–> documents stated in number 1-3, 5, 8
10. All supporting materials that are not in English must be accompanied by
certified English translations and certified by an embassy only.
Step 1 – Apply e-Visa application online
Please registered at https://thaievisa.go.th – click here.
Upon completion of an online visa application from the applicant,
the Royal Thai Consulate-General, Los Angeles will review the application.
Step 2 – Submit documents
Once complete e-Visa application, the application must submit :
1. e-appointment slip with barcode reference no.
3. Self-addressed return envelope
– by these following mail service USPS (US Postal Service) or Express Mail Service
– use only flat rate mailing envelope with postage stamp. (Metered stamps is not accepted)
– Please write your name clearly and record your tracking number of return mail for future reference.
– We will not provide tracking number information.
Mailing address :
No walk-ins allowed.
The Royal Thai Consulate do not accept any responsibility for any damage or loss.
Processing time : minimum 15 business days / expedited service is not available.
Fee – $400 for multiple entry
– the fee is not refundable in any cases.
Validity of a visa :
– Multiple entry = 5 year
– A visa becomes effective from the date of issuance.
– Do not apply for the visa too early.
– If you apply too early the visa may expire before your trip and you will have to re-apply.
Other Useful Information
Benefits of the Non-Immigrant O-X visa holders.
1. Can work as a volunteer (in accordance with the list of volunteer work
as stipulated by the Department of Employment).
2. Can purchase vehicles (under the provision of laws on motor vehicles).
3. Can purchase condominiums (proceed in accordance with the Condominium Act).
4. Foreigners who enter Thailand with Non-Immigrant O-X visa may change from
Non-Immigrant O-X to other type of Visa by submitting request to the Immigration Bureau.
5. Foreigners who enter Thailand with other type of Visa/ Visa Exemption may contact
the Immigration Bureau and apply for Non-O-X visa.
6. Spouse and child’s visa approval will be changed according to status of the main applicant.
However, spouse can apply for Non-Immigrant O-X by himself/ herself
if he/she meets the qualifications.
7. Spouse/ child who does not qualify for Non-Immigrant O-X visa may apply for other type of
non-immigrant visa in order to stay in Thailand with the Non-Immigrant O-X visa holder.
8. Upon the completion of 90 days stay period in Thailand, foreigners must notify the
Immigration Bureau of their residence in Thailand and shall repeat at every 90 days interval.
9. Foreigners must report, in person, to the immigration officer every 1 year for
the examination of the qualifications and supporting documents.
10. Stay permit of the Non-Immigrant O-X visa holders may be revoked due to following conditions:
10.1 Foreigners do not have financial evidence as per stipulated by above qualifications such as:
– The sum of money in the bank account is less than 3 million Baht at the end of
the first year of stay period in Thailand.
– The sum of money in the bank account is less than 1.5 million Baht at the end of
the second year of stay period in Thailand,
and/ or the money in said account was spent outside Thailand.
– Foreigners do not have insurance as per stipulated by above qualifications.
– Foreigners pose threat to peace and security of Thailand.
– Foreigners work without permission.
Please note :
Consular officers reserve the right to request additional documents
as deemed necessary and also reserve the right to reject any application
without having to provide reason.
12 Mar 2021 / KS.